Monday, January 5, 2009

Omnipresence

I was just reading a passage in the Bible (yes I read it) that reminded me of the omnipresence (I know that is a big word, but I do know a couple of those) of God. I was reading 2 Kings 5. In this passage Elisha heals Naaman of leprosy. Naaman tries to give Elisha a gift in return but Elisha refuses. Gehazi, Elisha's little helper, decides to make up a story and get Naaman to give him the gift. But, Elisha knows what he did and confronts him. Gehazi lies and said he didn't do anything and Elisha curses him with Naaman's leprosy. I was reminded that God always knows what we are doing, saying, and even thinking. Do I always want Him know those things about me? I really didn't want Him to know last week when I was cranky and acted ugly to Steven, or the times I skipped my quiet time, or when I called that guy a name when he was driving stupidly on the highway. But God does know those things. (Whoops!) He is omnipresent, always there. This is something I need to remember next time I am in a bad mood, lazy, or irritable. Do I want God to know what I am doing, saying, and thinking during those times. Makes me stop and think. It also makes me thank God for mercy and forgiveness.

1 comment:

marie said...

Thank you for your thoughts about Gehazi, Naaman and Elisha and how God uses these ancient Bible stories to speak to us personally today. There is no book like the Bible...living, breathing, forever true, applicable Word of God!